Monday 1 May 2017

Vituary - Nicole Gillis

Nicole Gillis

The impact that Nicole has had on my life is a large one.  Having lived in Calgary for just over a year and a half now, I’ve made a small number of friends – none of which have really made a lasting impression on me.  Nicole is the exception.

I don’t know if you believe in soul mates, but I do.  I believe Nicole is my Calgarian soul mate.  Because of Nicole, I am experiencing Calgary the way it is meant to be experienced.

Nicole makes me laugh, she talks me down, and she doesn’t judge me for drinking a bit too much and belligerently shouting lyrics at old ladies butchering The Irish Rovers’ “The Unicorn” at karaoke bars. 

She just “gets me” in every sense of the phrase. 

She’s incredibly caring, generous, and she would walk through fire for any of her friends.  At the same time, she is unwilling to let anybody take advantage of her good nature, which deserves a great deal of respect and admiration.

She’s a Borderlands-obsessed, digital art-producing, pretty, pastel princess, and I feel truly grateful for whatever circumstances brought us both to this city. 

(For anyone interested, this is her design and digital art Facebook page that is definitely worth checking out)

Nicole Marie Gillis, I love you very much.




----------------------


late 14c., "death," from Middle French obit or directly from Latin obitus "death," noun use of past participle of obire "to die," literally "to go toward" (see obituary). In modern usage (since 1874) it is usually a clipped form of obituary, though it had the same meaning of "published death notice" 15c.-17c.
plural vitae, Latin, literally "life," from PIE root *gwei- "to live."

While recently watching Rex Murphy’s tribute to my late father, I was saddened that my father wasn’t able to hear Murphy’s wonderful words.  I’ve decided to write pieces that are dedicated to telling the people in my life how great I think they are.  I call them “Vituaries.”  



1 comment:

  1. baby girl, I will never judge you! I love you, also.
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete